Beginning Algebra focuses on the concepts of algebra-writing and simplifying expressions, solving equations, graphing on the coordinate system and looking at the rules of algebra and the properties of numbers. It is a one-semester class designed to get a student ready to succeed in Algebra 1.5 A.
Class activities include the following:
- Weekly online meetings to review concepts from that week and work together to learn concepts
- Videos that explain the lesson and show how to solve example problems
- Exercises for each section
- Vocabulary practice
- Chapter projects, quizzes and tests
- Zany Brainy extra credit problems each week
Throughout the course, students will actively participate in their own learning and will also benefit from personal feedback to help them improve their mathematic skills.
Course materials: CK-12 Beginning Algebra, an online text designed for this course, Office 365, online graphing calculators such as Desmos or Geogebra.
Standards met: This course is designed to get the student ready for Algebra 1 or Algebra 1.5 and does not meet high school standards. It may be counted as an elective unless listed as a math course in the student’s IEP.
Honors Opportunity: No