Advanced Physical Education is an interactive course that incorporates the five health-related components of fitness and other fitness concepts; anatomy and physiology; wellness; nutrition and many other topics that relate to healthy living. This course is designed to enhance lifelong skills for physical fitness. It includes a mixture of physical activities along with online tests, lessons and activities that will give the learner a strong basis for life long physical activity.
Students are expected to keep up an active schedule while in the class–for example, participating in their school or club sport, or pursuing physical activities that interest them. There will be daily online journaling, plus assignments that guide the students through the course as they learn the tools that support a healthy adulthood.
Course materials: Available week-by-week within the course.
Standards met: National Standards in Physical Education
Physical activity is critical to the development and maintenance of good health. The goal of physical education is to develop physically educated individuals who have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity.
A physically educated person:
- Standard 1: Demonstrates competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
- Standard 2: Demonstrates understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities.
- Standard 3: Participates regularly in physical activity.
- Standard 4: Achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Standard 5: Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity settings.
- Standard 6: Values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
Honors Opportunity: No
Prerequisites: Must have passed MNOHS Physical Education Parts 1 & 2 or an equivalent high school course focusing on lifetime fitness.