This year-long sequence focuses on developing reading comprehension, writing skills, vocabulary skills, and phonics skills through the use of high-interest literature. This class is taught by a special education teacher. The length of the course is one or more semesters, depending on the needs of the individual student.
In Essential Language Arts, students use online spelling and reading resources, as well as modern and classic novels to improve skills. Students will meet in a webinar with their teacher weekly, either individually or in a small group.
Class activities include the following:
- Weekly meetings where students and instructor can discuss language arts topics, course progress, any questions, and just to get to know one another better
- Spelling and vocabulary instruction
- Journaling and writing projects
- Independent and group reading
- ReadingPlus fluency and comprehension activities
Throughout the course, students will actively participate in their own learning and will also benefit from personal feedback to help them continue to improve their language arts skills.
Course materials: variety of online resources and books used
Standards met: This course does not meet high school standards. It may be counted as an elective unless listed as a language arts course in a student's IEP
Credit: Depends on the student's needs
Honors Opportunity: No